Monday, October 27, 2014

Lessons Learned


Yesterday, I joined a 'meetup' group for plein air painting in Rockport, MA.  It was a great group, but the weather was very challenging with temperatures in the mid-50's and  amazing wind gusts- even some sprinkles now and then.  The group was a hardy band of artists, all of us decked out in warm winters coats and hats.  Quite a visual.  One thing I learned was that I really must replace my easel with something lighter but also far more stable.  Twice mine toppled in the wind, spilling tubes and brushes and canvas. It would have been smarter to set up with the wind at my back- but I'd miss the boats anchored in the harbor.   The best lessons of the weather related to needing to think quickly, sketch quickly and put colors down before the light shifted or the wind blew again.  The painting is not my best, by far, but I like it.  It captured the day - the clouds were a beautiful deep blue gray and the orange in the trees really popped.  It was fun, and fun should be what painting brings us.  It's a great journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment